FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- What is a Writing Retreat? A writing retreat provides the three things you need to get some serious writing done: scheduled time, dedicated space, and a supportive community to inspire and nurture you.
- What is included in the cost of registration? Your registration fee covers all presentations, a 30-minute private coaching session, two group dinners, and daily snacks.
- What if I'm nervous about coming by myself? You will be welcomed into a friendly and supportive commuity of like-minded creatives. Many participants choose to come alone, eager to meet new friends and expand their writer tribe.
- Do I have to be a writer to attend one of your retreats? No, all writers and seekers and lover of words are invited to attend. Our retreats are generative, focusing on process and opening up to the page. The sessions are designed with all levels of writers in mind. This is a safe space for a novice writer!
- Where will I eat lunch and dinner? The Eagles Mere Inn has two dining options on site and other nearby options can be found here.
- What else is there to do in and around Eagles Mere? Lots! Check out this town map.
- Why leave home? Travel is a powerful writing instructor, leading us somewhere that classes and seminars on craft can’t always do effectively. Travel leads us to self-knowledge, an essential element in the writer’s toolbox. Getting away and connecting to nature and ourselves is central to the creative process. Read Susan's essay on the power of travel here.
Testimonials for Susan and Windy:
"I loved this experience! Having the opportunity to get some tools to tune my creative voice was an amazing gift. Susan has the ability to effectively bridge the technical to the artistic, all the while making the novice writer feel as talented as the seasoned writer." ~Lisa W., VA
"I just returned from my second workshop led by Susan Pohlman, and, once again, my creativity and passion for writing been reignited and my heart is full. To be with others who share your desire to write is extremely inspirational, and, in both workshops, the friendships formed and memories shared will endure. Susan facilitates her lessons and our gathering with professional expertise, yet a casual and friendly style making everyone feel comfortable." ~ Sally K., Boston
"As a person who has worked in the administration of training for over 20 years, I want to say that Susan is a great trainer. She knows her audience, has great pacing, effective balance of formal to informal with ease, respectful and delightfully human. Susan is very relatable and authentic as well as knowledgeable..." ~ Mary O., IL
"I was able to move forward toward my goal of becoming a better writer. Great balance of content, skill development, inspiration, and time for solitary writing. I enjoyed being with other writers." ~ Allen N., AZ
"I had attended a lot of writing conferences in the past but never an intimate retreat like this. I'm hooked on this experience and look forward to taking care of my creative self like this again" ~ Amy C., AZ
"Susan Pohlman's writer's retreat was the best thing I have ever done for myself. It has given me a clear vision of my path on starting my 7th decade of life. I recommend Susan's retreat for all levels of writing." ~Peggy V., CA
One of the things that I enjoyed most was the camaraderie of the women I met. We started out as strangers and quickly became friends sharing stories - some funny, some sad - but all inspirational. In sharing our stories, it bonded us. I left feeling more connected as a human being and more confident to pursue my creative side.
"Whether you are generating new material, muddling your way through the middle or refining work for submission, Windy Lynn Harris is the best writing mentor to have at your side. Her knowledge of the craft is exceptional, as is her her enthusiasm for everything writerly. Windy is a treasure." —Lisa Fugard
“Working with Windy Lynn Harris is an absolute joy and my favorite part of the story polishing process. As a storyteller herself, Windy knows her craft and is deft at discerning where and how improvements can be made. Her notes and suggestions are specific, detailed, and always lead me to write a tighter, better final draft— many of which have now been published. Windy's process is collaborative, generative and above all, feels great. She’s a champion of writers and a gifted editor who may soon become your secret weapon!” —Laurie Shiers
“Windy is a talented writer and a divine editor. Her energy is contagious. I was forever amazed by Windy’s perception and insights on human nature. Her teaching style is positive and constructive; the glass is always half full–or more. Windy is not shy about offering praise and encouragement. It is truly enlightening and inspiring to work with her. —Dr. Kixx Goldman
"Before working with Windy, I was the typical aspiring writer who had started several books but never finished them. Windy helped me go from the mindset of 'I'll never complete this' to actually seeing the finish line of my first book. She provides valuable insight with her knowledge of storytelling and the publishing industry, which has helped me ask questions about my work that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. Her guidance and mentoring have helped me go from an 'aspiring' writer to becoming a published one.” —Michelle Chalkey Barichello
"Windy Lynn Harris is an excellent mentor, writing coach, and speaker. Her energy is infectious and she is someone who will root for your project with her expansive knowledge and enthusiastic personality." Rudri Patel
"Taking a class with Windy is like learning from an old friend who's also insanely smart. She's warm and enthusiastic, gives practical advice, and makes you believe in yourself as a creator. I wandered into her class with little knowledge on the topic, unsure I'd ever use the information and I walked out both enlightened and spurred into action, with the confidence to execute the work. I can't recommend her highly enough." —Natalie Lockett
"I first met Windy four years ago at the 85th Writer’s Digest Conference in NYC, where she ran a lecture and workshop on short story writing. She was by far my favorite speaker at the conference! Aside from her warm and encouraging personality, her teaching style is engaging, enthusiastic, and extremely knowledgeable. Her advice continues to inspire me. I would highly recommend working with Windy to writers of all levels, and in various stages of the process." --Sabrina Hicks
Please enjoy some photos from previous retreats!